[ad_1]
New Delhi: In a slum cluster Vasant vihar was razed by authorities on Friday after a Delhi High Court order, the police said. A senior police officer said the demolition drive was conducted in the Priyanka Gandhi camp, reportedly for nearly three decades.
“It was done by the team of NDRF The drive was completed by this afternoon with the help of MCD,” he said.
officers of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) said they are following the court’s order and working as per due process.
The Delhi High Court on May 30 refused to stay the demolition of a slum cluster built on the site allotted to the NDRF for construction of its headquarters, also directed that the cluster be demolished on June 15 instead of June 2. Could
Justice Tushar Rao Gedela, hearing a petition by the residents of Priyanka Gandhi Camp, asked the Delhi Urban Shelter Improvement Board (DUSIB) to consider the petitioners’ plea that they be shifted to a temporary shelter in the meantime.
“The notice of demolition dated May 19, 2023, which would be effective from June 2, 2023, will be extended to June 15, 2023… We are not stopped. We are not stopping it. We are saying change the date, time limit,” the judge had said.
The petitioner’s counsel had submitted that the people of the area were living there for the past three decades and were entitled to rehabilitation under the 2015 rehabilitation policy as the cluster was part of the additional list of 82 slums covered by it.
The court was also informed that the disputed land was allotted to the NDRF by the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) in 2020 and the force’s headquarters is currently located in the leased premises, for which crores of rupees have to be paid as rent. Had been.
Meanwhile, a news report claimed that a reporter was allegedly beaten up by the police at the site of the demolition operation, a charge denied by the police.
Meanwhile, the Municipal Corporation of Delhi said in a statement that it launched an “anti-encroachment drive” near Mata Gujri Devi (MGD) Hospital in west Delhi.
The road in front of MGD Hospital was heavily encroached upon by some local shopkeepers and vendors, causing problems for ambulances and patients to reach the hospital.
The MCD said shopkeepers and vendors were repeatedly warned but refused to vacate the encroached portion, so action was taken with the help of the Deputy Commissioner of Police, West district.
In its statement, the MCD said, “Strict action including sealing of properties will be taken in case of re-encroachment. No person will be allowed to break the rules and no one will be allowed to play with the lives of innocent patients and citizens.” Will not be allowed.” Said.
[ad_2]
Source link
